Thursday 5 March 2015

March Beg Block of the Month '15

Wow! What a week - so many things wanting their turn - all at once...

Today we will do the Beginners Block of the Month 
- too many thinking it has gone past already...
Not so. Deep breath, exhale, Lets get to it...


Can you believe the amount of frustration we have already faced with this little block of the month??? I certainly cant! Its just a straight forward geometric block - and yet my software has given me about 4 different sizes so far...... AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm sure its because of the conversion from centimeters to inches that it loses something. Some were really smaller and others were about a 1/4" bigger and then there were the others that were bang on target.... I don't know which you have?? Mine were a huge source of headaches.
Note to self: Use the EQ7 software on this from now on....

Not to worry! Now you have all had loads of practice with your beginner blocks.

The new block for March - I tested it about 6 times and then went back and printed Jan and Feb out and fiddled around with the sizes until they were all the same...

This is March Beginner Block - Ta Daaaa!!


 
This month we have only 2 templates to work with. As usual we cut our templates out and lay them onto the desk. After making the decisions as to which fabric will join us this month, you can write onto your templates the name of the colour you will be using.

Remember - you need another 3 of these templates as well to make up the 4 blocks that you need.





The same as before, we start at section #1 and its the only time our fabric is facing away from the template. We add our fabric for section #2, sew our seam, fold down the paper, trim with a 1/4" seam allowance, fold back the paper, press up our second piece of fabric into place - Same as before -

In my frustration to get the sizing right, I forgot to take a whole lot of photos for you  - sorry about that....

Once you have made both of your templates, join them together. I like to join them from the middle where I know the most focus will be. Joining them from the sides will sometimes leave a smidge off -center     - and you don't want that....



This is my completed block for March - I trimmed my block down to the 6.5" line by cutting of a smidg- iest - smidge off each side. Don't cut on one side only.



These are the Jan, Feb and March blocks remade - all the same size. Now I just need to make another 3 of each to catch up with all of you guys.....
I'm including in the March pattern all of the templates for these 3 blocks.

The patterns will be on my Beg BoM page.
Smaller size in the GDrive download and bigger size in the Craftsy download.

I hope this is the end of the size issues.

Have a great day!






2 comments:

legato1958 said...

The sizing problem must such a pain! Pattern #3 is really great! (Looking tricky, and yet it is all straight lines !)
Your blocks look great together!
Thanks for the patterns!!
Susie

Pippa Parsons said...

Eek just tried mine and its 5" finished. Will reprint and see